ISO14001 is the recognised international standard in Environmental Management Systems. Foster has recently been independently audited and awarded ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 by LRQA (Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance). These certifications from one of the most respected bodies in the world signify to customers that they can be sure they are buying from a company that is both environmentally responsible and compliant with environmental law.
John Savage, Food Service Director at Foster Refrigerator welcomed the certification, "Obtaining this accolade is great news for Foster and all of our customers. By integrating environmental issues into the overall management, we aim to offer a higher quality of products and services for all of our customers."
• ISO 14001 certification acknowledges those companies that enforce a successful environmental management system (EMS).
• The internationally recognised standard was awarded to Foster in response to their commitment in achieving and demonstrating sound environmental performance.
• EMS identifies all activities that have a significant impact on the environment and ensures that environmental law is complied with (through the creation of procedures to be followed in order to prevent pollution).
• To guarantee the success of these procedures a rigorous on going training program is administered to all staff, and the EMS is continually reviewed.
• The EMS was designed and implemented in association with Burton Environmental, a specialist environmental consultant delivering ISO 14001, waste management/minimisation, audit and related services.
• There are high levels of environmental control throughout the company, examples of which can be found in manufacturing, administration and product design. Within manufacturing attention has been focused on energy conservation, pollution and waste control.
• Specific everyday processes have come under scrutiny to certify that Foster adheres to ISO 14001 regulations, and these range from the removal of incoming packing and delivery of chemical substances, to the use of sealants, aerosols and paint.
• For all processes ISO 14001 demands that the area of operation is identified, whilst the environmental aspect and impact are assessed according to legislation (and thereby control measures are then enforced and monitored).
• ISO 14001 also ensures that the product is designed with the environment in mind, meaning that issues such as leak prevention, energy efficiency, and reduced packaging are all assessed. Also covered are elements such as the disposal of the product and any waste that may arise from this.
• The government is keen that environmental issues are a continuing priority for all companies in the UK, and therefore looking to the future, ISO 14001 does not stand still.
• Laws on the environment are continually being introduced, and thereby through gaining certification Foster will ensure that they accordingly implement all necessary measures to comply with such policies as the WEEE (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) and ROHS Legislation (Restriction of Hazardous Substances).
• As part of the standard Foster will regularly be audited thereby ensuring that the EMS at the company will grow and improve.
Foster has a long history of being the market leading innovator in terms of energy and the
It is through gaining ISO 9001 & 14001 certification in combination with other initiatives such as the E.C.A and
Hydrocarbon schemes that Foster Refrigerator has ensured the environment is of paramount importance when
dealing with issues throughout the organisation.
* First commercial manufacturer to transfer production from R12 to R134a
* First commercial manufacturer to transfer production from R502 to R404a
* First commercial manufacturer to introduce hydrocarbons (R290) into food service cabinets
* First to be included on the Enhanced Capital Allowance Scheme
* First commercial manufacturer to achieve environmental standard ISO 14001